Friday, October 21, 2011

as the weather gets colder, the french people get hotter

Bonjour mes amis. i can't believe how fast time is flying. it's actually insane. my last blog was on the 7th and it is now almost the end of October. quoi??!!
        So, it is officially Les Vacances! we get a week off of school (i'm not really sure why but i'm not questioning it). Most of my friends are off traveling to exotic places, but yours truly is staying put in Bordeaux grâce à poor planning and financial woes. But i aint complaining! It's nice to have a break from school, sleep in and just do nothing. Plus, I am going to tear up the town with or without my comrades.
     This past week I had my first exams in French school. they were pretty terrifying. I am kind of expecting my professors to say, 'you might as well go back to California'. But I think (hope) they understand our lack of comprehension when it comes to their university system, and maybe they will cut us some slack. However, this past week did motivate me to start trying harder and get my butt back in etudier mode.
Brrrrr!!!!!
     It's starting to get freezing cold!!!!! Bordeaux weather is a funny thing...when we first arrived, it switched between hot and muggy to random torrential rain storms. Now, it is just really really cold. I know I'm a spoiled California girl when it comes to weather, but my bones are chilled. I asked my mom to send some California sunshine along with my winter clothes she is preparing to send me. The worst thing is, my French friends say this is nothing. Just wait until January, they told us. I'm scared. i'm expecting to be waddling around like the kid from A Christmas Story, who is bundled up like a little marshmallow. Oh but of course the french pull off their winter style like fashion models, as per usual. Leave it to them to be able to battle 0 degree (ok,celsius) weather while looking like they stepped off a Vogue photo shoot. sigh.
Recent Adventures
    Oh so last weekend, Erika took us on a  lovely trip to her nephew's home in the countryside! He is a rich doctor who I want to marry. his house is amazing. it's on acres of grassy fields where cows graze and flowers grow (wow I am so poetic!) And the Dordogne river is just on the other side. it was one of the last days of warm, sunny weather, and we enjoyed a delicious lunch outside on his patio, listening to Elvis of course. it's my new goal to live there. see for yourself:





It was a great way to say good bye to the warm days of summer and welcome the chilly autumn and winter.
         My friends and I also checked out la Fête Foraine the other night. It's the carnival in Bordeaux! it was pretty cheesy like most fairs, but worth the experience. It was interesting to see how Americanized everything was. all the rides, attractions and food were printed in English with American-type pictures all over the place. i think it's something Americans don't realize until they have traveled outside the states, how wide-spread our culture is. Not only at the fair, but my french friends know everything there is to know about our music, tv shows, movies...everything. it's quite surprising.... interesting fact. But anyway, the fair was over priced and fun. we rode the ferris wheel (la grande roue) 


Oh my god, then I made a horrible mistake and went on a roller coaster that seemed harmless, but in reality was terrifying. THis thing spun around in circles for 10 minutes!!!!!!! super fast, with smoke blowing in your face, and the seat things spun wildly around. max and i almost died. there is a reason i don't do roller coasters....
ps, it was called sexy dance. ya i dont know. It was a fun experience all around though!
         Well, hot chocolate and movies in bed is calling. I am too scared to go outside and brace the cold so I'm spending the day safe inside my covers. Tonight, though, Todd and I are storming the city. watch out Bordeaux ; )
A bientot! love to all :)

   

No comments:

Post a Comment