Friday, October 7, 2011

Que sera, sera

I think it's time for an update! i've been neglecting my blog. so bonjour! Lots has been happening here in bordeaux-land. I am slowly starting to feel like I really live here. Before, I felt like a tourist, thinking that this amazing vacation must end soon, and I'd have to go back to reality. it's a trip knowing I have many more months ahead of me :)

The Opera
So we went to see an opera! At the Grand Théâtre! It was awe-inspiring being at such a magnificent and historical opera house. We saw Madame Butterfly, which turned out to be a very depressing story. And, we had not-the-best seats (and that's putting it nicely). basically we were in nose bleed land. i actually couldn't really see anything. But, it was really fun getting dressed up and being classy at the opera :)

(merci Sara pour les photos :) )

St. Emilion
Erika took Laura and I on a little day-trip to a town just outside Bordeaux, called St. Emilion. it was so cute! it reminded me of Carmel back in California, very quaint and charming, expensive. It's best known for its wineries and wine. we walked around and went into the cute little shops and wished we could afford anything. however we did splurge on delicious macarons, which actually originated in St. Emilion! i tried Nutella and Laura tried caramel. both amazing. afterward, we déjeunéd at one of Erika's favorite restaurants. then we went on a surprise tour of a chateau/ winery! i wasn't expecting it but it was quite exquisite. we also got to have a degustation (wine tasting) of some very fine wines. it was funny because laura and I downed our glasses, while the rest of the group delicately tasted, smelled and enjoyed the flavors of each wine. but then they spit it out into an urn-type thing! hey, I can appreciate wine, but if I'm tasting it I'm gonna swallow that! anyway, it was quite a long but adventurous day.



Erasmus Parties/ Partying in General
Oh mon dieu. we do a lot of partying here. the french know how to do it well! Erasmus, which is study abroad in Europe, organizes a lot of parties for all the foreigners here to get together and mix all of our different languages together into one drunken slur. Just kidding, but not really. they are always shit shows. On tuesday (yes like the middle of the week), there was one that we attended. as my friend Sara said, NEVER AGAIN! wednesday was living hell, I'll let you imagine why. we learned a valuable lesson:keep the partying to JVS. On a better note, our French friends invited us to their apartments for a real frenchy party. it was so fun! all their friends are so nice and friendly. it reminds me of our little kickbacks at Davis...but...everyone is speaking French.

School (La Fac)
So we're in our third or fourth week of school now. I still feel a little lost. like this :

And, it doesnt help that i have a horrible sense of direction, and half the time don't know where I am going. it's definitely one of the hardest things I've had to adjust to. It's like when I felt overwhelmed in my French classes at Davis, except every class I'm taking is like that. but, it's coming along. it definitely expands my comprehension and vocabulary. and we made a friend in our classes who is also very sweet and clues us in on what is going on. This semester I'm only taking litterature courses, so it gets a little monotonous. Hopefully by next semester I'll be able to take psych. i miss it! One of our professors loves California and is really excited there are Californians in his class. he always makes references to us/CA/ the states, and I think the other french students are getting a little tired of it. but it's nice to get a little reminder of home :)

Speaking of home, I do miss it. I'm not homesick necessarily, but from time to time things pop in my head and I'm like, awwwww if only I were back in CA.

Like Buddy:
And my mommy:

And Sol Food:

And my bed...and my friends...and other things. But, i am living in France so I really can't complain!

Well mes amis, i think that just about summarizes my last few weeks in francey france. i can't describe how much i love it. but i dont want to bore you :) so there you go! love to all.

1 comment:

  1. "Just kidding, but not really. " Hahaha I love it! Keep it up, I love reading your blogs :)

    ReplyDelete