Thursday, September 22, 2011

Fairing les vendanges, l'université et autres choses!

Bonjour yall, wowowow I have beaucoup to say! Where to begin... I am still falling more in love with Bordeaux chaque jour. I'm currently sitting in my host house's lovely jardin, watching the chickens scurry around and soaking up the sunshine, before the cold weather begins. I've had some pretty crazy adventures lately, so I'll start from last weekend.

Vendanges!
So i had the amazing opportunity to "faire les vendanges", which means harvesting and cutting the grapes in a vineyard, to make wine. Erika, my french mom, has friends who own a chateau and winery... and every year, when the time comes to cut the grapes, she takes her foreigners to help out. There were about 40 people total, out in the fields cutting the grapes! it was an all day ordeal, and very tiring physical labor, but totally worth it. And they fed us a fabulous home cooked French meal at lunch time. im drooling just thinking about it! It lasted about 2 hours, and we ate and drank a ridiculous amount of delicious food and wine. Some of the bottles were over 20 years old, and cost 200 Euro! i didn't feel worthy of dining in this amazing chateau, but im so thankful i got to experience it. Here are some photos:
The wine cellar!

The gorgeous table setting for lunch


Amazing chateau


more tables

clippin the grapes!

this is taken from google, but this is basically what i was doing.

So basically it was the best thing ever. Afterwards, I was so tired after but we still went out of course :)

Going Out 
So partying here is a lot different than at home. people are very classy when they drink (for the most part). we usually go out to bars, and have discovered a few really cool ones... Our favorites are Houses of Parliament and Charles Dickens. Also, last night I went to a party for Erasmus students , which is the european equivalent of study abroad. i met lots of cool frenchies who hopefully want to be my friend. my goal is to have more real french friends though...its easier said than done, but hopefully with school it will be accomplished. which  leads me to:

Classes at Université de Bordeaux
Classes have officially started at Bordeaux 3. Im taking freshman level courses because that's the level I can handle,and I'm still kind of struggling haha. but they're pretty interesting and it's cool being among all French students! I'm taking a french literature class, phonetics, something called langue&stylistique and a Middle Ages history class. they're pretty interesting. 

On a somewhat unrelated note, all French people are gorgeous. It's like a law or something. When i walk around campus (or anywhere), I feel like an ugly American duckling!! Its a pretty big blow to my self confidence... But seriously,I feel like i go to a modeling school. everyone is always impeccably dressed, and there are just no unattractive people. i find myself staring at guys and girls and wondering how its possible for such beautiful people to be located in one place. just another amazing thing about la France.

Anyway, it's time to manger. Even though its Jeudi (the official start of the weekend), im keepin it low key tonight. more energy to go hard vendredi/samedi :)

Bisous! 

1 comment:

  1. thank you for the pictures!! looks like the vendage was an amazing experience!!

    ReplyDelete